Today we pass the 200 post milestone. *woo* We also finished our latest project, building a new bed. After sprucing up the master bedroom closet (similar to the guest bedroom closet), the rest of our master bedroom started to look kind of drab. Since we're probably moving in the next couple of years we want to avoid spending alot of money on new furniture. So this bed is the first of a couple of new furniture creations to spruce up this room on the cheap.
We built the frame and headboard out of 3/4" plywood. We built out a border 2.5" around the entire headboard since we're still debating adding nailhead trim to the headboard. It also made the headboard more sturdy/thicker.
We scored some sweet bed hardware from Lee Valley Hardware. There were 4 sets like this for the corners and 2 sets of hardware for a cross brace. In the above photo you can also see the 2x2 we attached to the side rail to support the box spring.
We used spray adhesive to put a 2" piece of foam in the area between the 2.5" border and then put a layer of batting to make it extra plush.
We then finished up by upholstering it in a cream fabric we found at Designer Fabrics. This store is seriously awesome. It totally deserves its reputation as the go-to place for fabric.
We got the idea from this headboard shape from the Loft Bedroom episode of Sarah 101 on HGTV. We knew it would be a bit challenging to upholster but it was easier to wrap our heads around making this design symmetrical.
And here we have it. The bed came out way better than we imagined. For the frame we just wrapped 1" foam around the outside of the plywood so it's also nice and squishy :). There are also bevelled/stained pieces of 2x4 acting as legs.