Saturday, February 12, 2011

Guest bedroom closet

Now that all the living areas are done, we're taking time to do some much needed renovating of the bedroom closets. First up was the guest bedroom closet. This closet had crumbling plaster and lathe with holes from the re-wire (yes.. right after we moved in..). The plaster and lathe holes combined with the non-sealing attic access meant this closet was too dusty (and prone to random sprinklings of yucky cellulose insulation) to store anything other than packed boxes. We never took any pictures of this heinous closet so you'll just have to trust us that it was really gross.
We remedied the grossness by drywalling the closet and properly sealing the attic access.

Like most old things in our house the floor in the closet was gross, so we put down a new cork floor since we're out of the hardwood we used in the rest of the house (finally). I was pretty amazed at how nice cork is these days. We may have to look at it more seriously when we do our basement.
With the walls built, floor in and trim done we built an L shaped set of shelves and installed two levels of hanging on one side of the closet. Here it is in action. We unpacked three more boxes today (yes, 2.5 years later we are almost unpacked). We also moved most of the stuff from our main bedroom closet since that space is next on our hitlist. So this is a bit more than the closet will normally need to hold but it does it pretty well.

1 comment:

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

A bookcase in a closet ... perfect ... and totally organized!